In order to comply with Government and social distancing restrictions and to keep our clients safe, we are having to think differently about how we offer weekly activities at the current time.
We offer ‘Stay Connected Sessions’ where clients can join us on Zoom and learn how to get online and use a smartphone, tablet, iPad or laptop. Clients can also take part in Walk & Talk Sessions with volunteers and staff from Holbeck Together, available at a flexible time to suit client preference and volunteer availability.
We deliver wellbeing packs, created in collaboration with YourSpace, and over the summer these included family activity packs, ping pong activity packs, and weekly activities including quizzes and art activities.
Our usual activities include the following:
- ‘Just Come Along & Sing’: this group provides an avenue for older adults to sing for the joy, health and camaraderie of song regardless of experience and expertise. No prior singing experience is required, and you do not need to read music. The emphasis is on singing for the fun of it. The only requirement for joining us is a desire to sing.
- Friendship Group/ Games Afternoon: twice a week we hold our Friendship Group and Games Afternoon that provides an opportunity to come along and meet with friends old and new and socialise. Examples of activities that often take place are various games, quizzes, craft exercises, short trips out and much more.
- Chair Based Exercise: This weekly gentle exercise group engages with older adults that provides the opportunity to participate in exercise that can be practised in the class or at home. This helps to to maintain independence and prevent possible injuries whilst supporting them to remain active and mobile.
- Craft Group: The craft group provides regular opportunity to be creative and learn new skills whilst making new friends through the sharing of different ideas and craft techniques.
- Bingo Afternoons: once a month at St Matthews Community Centre.
- Ten-Pin Bowling Outing: this monthly outing creates an opportunity to keep active by engaging with our ten-pin bowling group. All are welcome to a warm and modern environment irrespective of experience of ability levels. Transport available.
- Pub Meal Trips: On a monthly basis Holbeck Together provide outings to various pubs and restaurants in Yorkshire.
- Showcase Cinema Outings: Once a month our service users visit Showcase Cinema De Lux, Birstall to view the latest releases at the box office. This group provides the opportunity for older people to be supported in order to see the latest film releases in luxury.
- Theatre Group: Over the course of the year Holbeck Together provides access to theatre performances located around Yorkshire. Visiting theatres such as The Leeds Grand Theatre, The York Grand Opera House and others. This group is proving to be popular amongst our service users. We also offer a payment plan to make the affordability of these outings more inclusive to all who wish to attend. We offer a passenger assisted Transport service for this activity.
- Trip Group: Throughout the year Holbeck Together provide access to a variety of leisure destinations across the North of England. Outings include, visits to the seaside town of Whitby, seeing the animals of Knowsley Safari Park, A gentle walk around Golden Acre Park. We also offer a payment plan to make the affordability of these outings more inclusive to all who wish to attend.